Guest Artists Program at the ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics
Applications for Working Grants
The Institute for Music and Acoustics at the ZKM Karlsruhe promotes and presents electronic music in particular and the technological development of electronic music and digital musical components in general. As part of its Guest Artists Program, the IMA annually awards for this purpose several grants to composers and musicians / sound artists / music programmers for
a) the development / composition of new electronic works
b) special focuses of the IMA:
- electro-acoustic music / acousmatic spatial music (for example, works that use and refine in an aesthetically novel way the ZKM developed Klangdom (Sound Dome) with its 43 loudspeakers and Zirkonium software)
- live electronic concepts (development of innovative interfaces for acoustic and electronic instruments, possibly in conjunction with the Klangdom / Zirkonium software)
c) audiovisual or medial projects (with dance, film / video, music theatre, internet projects, installations)
d) technologies (software and hardware)
Conditions of the working grant
The grants are usually for 1-2 months, or in exceptional cases longer periods, and are intended to serve on-the-site work at the ZKM in Karlsruhe. The grant consists of € 1,500 per month (including travel and accommodation costs). A studio space with basic equipment will be made available to grant holders. They will also receive technical support from software developers and sound technicians (especially for ZKM developed software) according to agreement and as far as resources allow.
Composers can present their newly developed works or technological results to the public at the once-a-month ima | lab, at a concert / festival at the ZKM, or at international festivals. As cooperating partner of other institutions, the IMA also awards working grants for the development of electronic components to composers whose works will be presented at international festivals.
- Short description of the artistic project / work;
- context (presentation at the ZKM, development for CD production, festival, etc.; if relevant, cooperation partner, external funding);
- targeted time frame;
- required technology, technology to be developed
- team (individual composer, programmer, etc.)
Submission deadline for artistic residencies for the second half of 2013 and the first half of 2014 is May 31st 2013.
Selection is made internally at the Institute for Music and Acoustics
Please send completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ZKM | Institut für Musik und Akustik