Robert Darroll, Sean Reed :: Oracle [2005-07]
The interactive work »Oracle« investigates the mechanisms and patterns of the generation of meaning and of subjective concepts of reality as they are influenced both by the logic of current digital media and by deeply rooted ‘irrational’ cultural rituals.
The practice of consulting oracles as an example for such an aforementioned practice hereby constitutes the works formal structure: Via a touch screen the user can—either in English or in German—ask a question and thus set in motion a process modeled after the dramaturgy of rituals, comparable elements of which are to be found in a great number of cultural traditions. The oracle offers the viewers abstract and very open reflections on the present and the future, which the audience has to interpret according to their own reality.
Offering »advice« per random from a database and referring to irrationality as well as to the belief in technology, the project opens up a debate on the basis and the mechanisms of seeking and finding »truths«.
Type of Work
Interactive computer graphics installation for PanoramaScreen with 8-channel sound
· Artistic concept and computer graphics: Robert Darroll
· Composition/ sound design: Sean Reed
· Speakers: Harald Schwiers [German], Ed Assali [English]
· Technical development and production: ZKM | Institute for Visual Media
· Project direction ZKM | Institute for Visual Media: Bernd Lintermann
· Production: Petra Kaiser, Jan Gerigk, Manfred Hauffen, Silke Sutter, Arne Graesser
· Application and user interface software: Joachim Tesch
The PanoramaScreen is based on Jeffrey Shaw’s interactive panoramic cinema research.
The PanoramaScreen was jointly developed by the ZKM | Institute for Visual Media, Karlsruhe [D] and the UNSW iCinema Research Centre, Sydney [AUS].
· Screen manufacturing: Huib Nelissen Decor en Constructiewerken, Haarlem [NL].
Panorama Display Software:
· Concept and development: Bernd Lintermann, ZKM | Institute for Visual Media
The sound production was supported by the ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics.
The project was realized as part of the research association “Information at your fingertips - Interactive Visualization for Gigapixel Displays” funded through the Information Technology Funding Program of the federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg [BW-FIT]
and supported by the Nagoya University of Art and Science, Nagoya, Japan.
PanoramaScreen II [with 6 projectors]
Touch screen computer as interface
Panorama Display Software
Custom software for user interface
PanoramaScreen II: ø 8,00 m, H 2,80 m
· Institute for Visual Media
»produced@: Current Productions for the PanoramaScreen of the ZKM | Institute for Visual Media«, ZKM | Karlsruhe [D], 08/06–08/2008
KAMUNA 2008: Robert Darroll, Sean Reed: »Orakel« [2005-07], 08/02/2008
»PanoramaFestival. Works for the PanoramaScreen« ZKM | Karlsruhe [D], 11/09 - 11/18/2007